Saturday, November 5, 2016

"So Far, So Good" by Debbie Bagnato


Well, we had our wonderful class on Thursday and now I feel like I am on the right track. Everyone seems to be looking good and the work, though much more of it ahead than behind us, seems like a fun adventure. We read the first fifteen pages of my play and I was a little worried about the reactions I would get from these guys but wanted to know their honest impressions. And I got them! Luckily, they were mostly very good, and also incredibly helpful on certain areas that I needed to get their feedback on. So with that in mind, I am on to some clarifications in sections and a possible new addition--thanks to Dr. Z's suggestion.   is the point of a comedy. I am calling these sections scenes, though they didn't actually have scenes or acts in Aristophanes day. However for me, as I write and visualize this piece being performed, it is easier and more realistic to break the play into "scenes" in order to look not at the whole story but instead at smaller bits of dialogue to construct (which is probably how and why someone thought of this idea of instituting acts and scenes in the first place...). The next scene is calling me but it is not time yet. I feel that I should go back to those first pages and make the changes and/ or corrections which are mostly to  clarify areas, and then move forward through the entire piece with those changes in mind. It may take longer but it will probably bring me to exactly where I have to be in order to move forward successfully. I also need to write a character list with some background information on each of these players; this will take long only because there are a lot of people in and out of these scenes--much like Aristophanes and his choruses. Luckily the characters are all very real as they are mostly based on real people who work with me. But the backstory always adds flavor for the reader, and some of that will be my imagination.
Not sure exactly where my next "scene" will lead me, but feel much better knowing that it is okay so far, and that we all got a laugh from it which
As I sat writing lists of things to do for the play instead of in the play, I thought of other essentials such as hair, costumes, lighting, and the use of the scrim beyond the opening scene. The set is already pretty well set in my mind BUT I may need to draw sketches of the scene changes and how they will be most effective. I had originally planned to use a revolving stage and switch the upcoming scene to the backroom, which is dark, cluttered and very hectic with vendors coming and going. I had also hoped to use this change of scenery to demonstrate the "battle" through the store, but with a cast so large, the scene would probably work better and be performed more simply if it stayed on the same stage set. That is how  Aristophanes original was performed--and then the players will simply arrive (and complain) from the other parts of the "store." The reality is to wait and see when I continue with the new writing for the next scene if that decision will become more apparent; there is no real budget for my hypothetical production so I can plan this performance any way that is feasibla and entertaining. Still, I want to make this play a possibility; despite the large cast it could otherwise be a great deal of fun to perform. Now to stop blabbering and get back to work; I'll write again soon and hoping for positive results for all of us!




No comments:

Post a Comment