Thursday, February 16, 2017

Giving my Revisions a Break Before I edit out all the fun...


Well, it seems I have become somewhat addicted to revising and admit that I am, quite possibly, editing out more than necessary. Also, at present time, I have bronchitis, am quite sick, and feel like I am taking stupid pills along with the antibiotics, so--to protect my piece (from myself) I am not letting myself near it until I feel normal again. Instead, I have begun dabbling with my website just to find a model and feel comfortable with what I have chosen. Because of my inexperience with website building (and the stupid pills) this is also temporarily on hold but the daily photographs of my co-workers and set (ie. my version of the "Acropolis") are in full swing. This has become a regular occurrence and the "cast members" as well as all the employees are excited about having a story--a play--about us and what we do. They are all turning out to be wonderful, terrible hams. I also think I need a break from the story as I have become too involved in it to be able to recognize its strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, I need the input of my marvelous group--next Thursday--and their opinions and reactions will help me to proceed--cautiously--with my revisions. So, despite being done with the writing, I know that there is still much to do and have tried to create a tentative "game plan" for the entire project.
The website (yes, me trying to create my own) was beginning to make sense, as I changed backgrounds and tried to add/ delete some simple components but then--as I feared--my questions about the best way to present my thesis came into focus. That and my unwise attempt at inputting too many photos in the gallery---thank God they do not save unless you hit that little button...So now, after learning a few of the different ways I can set up my site,  I am preparing a list of things I would like included in it. And of course, to present said list to my group so they can express their opinions on and suggestions for. I do not want to invest any more time on things that just do not seem to be going the way I had intended, so my exploration slows down--for now. Also I value the opinions of my group immensely--especially Dr. Z, who creates her own websites. I so want this to be something I am proud of when it is completed, so I will proceed very carefully with this next part of Lysistrata Revisited. Hopefully, I can make the progress needed with both revisions and websites with ease...
Other than that, I am free-writing--for my other project--to keep my mind somewhat focused; the first four scenes I had written easily only after free-writing and brainstorming. Once this new play is heading in the direction I have outlined, I believe my focus and ability to finish my revisions will improve for the thesis project. It has overtaken my time, thoughts, and conversations, and the insane enthusiasm of my co-workers ("Hey Debbie come on in the meat room and get a picture of us all!") adds to the excitement. Not that my total submersion is bad, but I do need to be more objective and that requires some small distance. Truthfully, I feel like I miss my characters when I am not working on this--but I see them all every day. Only they are not in the same circumstances that my play (and Aristophanes) created. In retrospect,  I was grateful for my inability to work at the computer on this play--each day after work--when Frank was hospitalized. I would make slight revisions using "Docs" on my phone while at the hospital and when I was finally able to devote quality time to my work, could actually enjoy the good parts. It also enabled me to confidently recognize the weak sections and then really make revisions. So, in that hope, I am giving myself these few days away from it, during which (hopefully) I will get better, and then can return with a fresh and open mind. Wish me luck guys, as I do all of you. And can't wait to see my group next week and what they're up to--not to mention that I really need your input! But for now, time for more unpleasant prescriptions...

No comments:

Post a Comment